How To Take A Great Impression... Now With Photos!
The majority of completed impressions that we receive from our customers for modeling their guards are perfectly made – and each of our customers make their own impression at home. For those who have had some issues or stumbled onto common mistakes, however, we’re always happy to send a replacement kit; that said, we thought it might be helpful to do a blog post with some images alongside our directions!
Making a great impression is easy. The process is the same for an upper and a lower impression; here are a few tips to help you get started:
Preparation, Fitting & Supplies
- Clean your teeth thoroughly by brushing and flossing before starting.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before starting.
- Do not wear gloves while making an impression.
- Stand in front of a mirror or have a mirror handy.
- Test the fit of the empty impression tray in your mouth. Make sure your rear teeth are covered by the back of the tray and that your teeth do not touch the side walls. If the tray does not fit you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you the correct size quickly.
- Have your phone handy and use the timer for mixing the putty & loading the tray (1 minute) and for making the impression (3 ½ minutes).
Putty Mixing & Loading The Tray (1 minute)
- Set your phone timer for 1 minute.
- Mix the two putties for 45 seconds. The putty should be a solid color, not marbled.
- Use the remaining 15 seconds to roll the putty into the shape of a slender cigar or hotdog, about 4.5“ to 5”.
- Then load the putty into the impression tray and spread it evenly to the side walls of the tray.
Making your impression (3 ½ minutes)
- Set your phone timer for 3 ½ minutes.
- Fit the filled tray into your mouth, making sure it is centered. Looking in the mirror will help with centering.
- Use your fingers to press the tray evenly into your teeth. Make sure your teeth are covered up to your gum line and lightly touch the bottom of the tray. Do not bite down.
- Use your thumbs to press the impression tray into your rear teeth.
- Do not move the tray once you have covered your teeth. Continue to hold the tray in place to ensure the tray does not move.
- Wait 3 ½ minutes before gently removing the tray.
You did it!
Do not remove the impression material from the tray. Send the tray filled with the putty material back to ClearClub in the envelope provided.
We hope these step by step visuals will make it a little easier if you're feeling unsure about taking your impressions. And remember, if by some chance you make an error, get in touch and we'll send another kit for you to try again. We're here to help!
Try ClearClub's subscription today, your teeth will thank you!